Search

Wednesday, July 4, 2018

The 4th of July by Darby Weaver

The 4th of July in 2018 by Darby Weaver

It's been a while since I've posted much of anything...

Why?

I could say I've been busy saving the world and designing networks and keeping the free world free or something like that...

Perhaps...

I've done a little of all of the above in some small way...  Hey!  It's what we do, right?

Ok,

I've been building a lot of Cisco Data Center Skills....

You know stuff like....

Cisco Nexus 9000

Cisco ASR 9000

ASA

Cisco Application Centric Infrastructure (ACI)

Cisco UCS Director

Cisco Network Services Orchestrator (NSO)

Lots of Application Optimization, Virtualization, and Orchestration...

Creating Testing Plans and whatever else that entails....

Scripting... and more scripting... and then automating... and then watching the fireworks go off for literally thousands of devices or so...

Lots of design, automation, cutting edge "tip of the sword" back-end stuff like working on product development, troubleshooting, and generallly helping work out the bugs in the product lines to simply put build a better widget...

Ah... yes... contracting and consulting...  the meat of the matter... 

Well...

Something like that...

Overall...  Life is good....

Work is Remote... 100% and from Home...

Travel is 0% and that's a plus...

No wasted time trying to get from point A to point B and personally that should be on anyone's agenda....

As far as the work life, I just re-certified all of my professional level certifications...

No, I'm not a CCIE, however, I work with CCIE's on an even keel and professional level every day and I play my part just like the rest of the team.  I only mention it since so many typically ask me this question.

I'm quite well experienced by now...

I've planned things for the Pentagon, optimized networks for the Department of State, designed and implemented networks for the Department of Homeland Security, the National Guard, and even State E911 Systems, foreign governments, International companies to the largest magnitude....

I have to say the largest DMZ to date had around 50,000 devices or so... 

I don't know what else I need more credentials for since I command a take home of 3-5x per year of a CCIE's annual gross rates....  and I work with the largest and most complex networks, arguably on the planet already....  So... whatever I'm doing is working... quite well.  I have other interests and of course they are working to my advantage as well. 

If you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life...

There's no shortcut to success... don't waste time looking for them...  (General Powell - paraphrased)

I stand when I want to in my neighborhood... (Billy Joel)

I've worked for a lot of the Fortune 500's in one capacity or another... 

I've had recruiters offer to throw in cars along with "kingly salaries" and don't forget that 15% bonus, etc.    This is may seem odd to say, but these offers are regular and quite frequent these days...

So... Here I am...


Darby Weaver
The Cisco Network Architect
www.linkedin.com/in/darbyweaver

No comments: