Search

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Labs, Labs, and More Labs... Game Time!

Ok - So I know I said the CCIE was Dead...

In case most people didn't notice it seems like Scripting has taken the world by some sort of Storm..

However, at the base of that Hurricane is the CCNA, the CCNP, and yep... the CCIE...

So here I go again back to the labs on end and back to the racks....

I use a variety of sources and trainers.

The Cisco Learning Network and Udemy.com are leaning towards being my picks for this phase of my lab and learning activities.

I'm expecting to spend well over $50,000.00 or so this year in 2018 prepping for 2019.

Sounds expensive?  Not really.

It's a sound game plan for me, myself, and I?  Why?

I looked over my skill set, demand for my skill set, and what it is going to take for me to get over the 7 digit mark by the end of 2018 or definitely in 2019.

Yep - I found it....

No CCIE Digits?

A CCNA, or CCNP and even CCDP are great... working as a Designer and Architect are excellent but it is exceptionally difficult to get over the $400,000.00 per year proverbial hump on such pedestrian skill levels...

It sounds like it's a tough world out there...  I get the offers and I work on the most demanding and challenging networks out out there...

No doubt about it...

So here's what I'm doing about it...

1. Hardware:  I'm upgrading all of my facilities... If a server had RAID 1 with 500GB hard drives... maybe it gets a 2TB SSD Hard Drive Mirror for example.

2. Quad NICs are doubled to 2-Quad NICs, etc.

3. Barely any server has less than 8TB of Hard Drive storage and some have 24TB storage and some have 72TB each.

4. Except for Laptops at 16GB and 32GB, servers are topped off at 128GB or so each.

5. I require more options and so I've bundled up some items to hold me over and I've got it on my agenda to complete them.

6. I stocked up on some Cisco Learning Network, 360, and VIRL Labs to keep me busy and focused.

7. A Safari Account for good measure.

8. Bought 128GB SD Memory Cards and loaded them on my Tablets with a a few choice items savory to the curiosity...

9. Yep got the VIRL Subscription to complement the GNS3/VIRL on ESXi Server ordered and built to purpose.

10. I'm primarily interested in the RS, SP, and Security tracks at present, however, I have a working network which requires DC, Wireless, and Collaboration.  So these tracks are on the sidelines but help my maintain my CCNP in each track.

FYI - My current portfolio of Fortune 500, Federal Government, named accounts, Cisco Partners, and Vendors not to mention projects completed for foreign entities or else Global Companies has been pervasive and expansive these past 7 years or so.  So I'm not really deviating from my stated objectives, I'm enhancing and refreshing the skill sets that got me this far, so I can continue to outpace my own standards.

Ok - That's my summary.


Somehow, I am going to manage to cram 8 hours of lab time or better into each and every day on top of what I'm already doing for work and projects.  that works out to about 40 hours a week extra time just devoted to renewing and perfecting what I already profess to know at the CLI or lab.

Yep - This is a re-certification year for me and I intend to take all tracks I'm carrying forward to the various testing centers one more time at a full throttle in the coming months, time permitting.

So I do have my work cut out for me.

Wit the advent of the latest technology innovations and and armed with the highest credentials available I am going to hit that 7 digit mark since its all I really have as a basis for achievement and accomplishment.   So I suppose I may need some digits to pull it off a little sooner than otherwise possible.

Good luck to all!






No comments: